Preparing for Surgery
The following instructions are very important and MUST be followed or it may be necessary to reschedule your surgery:
- In most cases, you will be required to visit the center prior to your scheduled surgery date to have a pre-operative assessment completed by our nursing staff. At that time you will also discuss your insurance and financial obligations with our business office staff.
- Please bring all the medications you are currently taking including any natural and/or herbal supplements in their original bottle to your pre-operative appointment. The nursing staff needs to have an accurate medication history.
- You will be instructed by the nursing staff as to which medications you should and should not take the morning of surgery.
- Do not take aspirin, aspirin products, Vitamin E, fish oil, Motrin, Ibuprofen, Aleve, Advil, or any herb or garlic supplement for one week prior to your surgery, unless otherwise instructed by your doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you take Coumadin, Plavix or other blood thinners.
- Notify your doctor and the surgery center staff if you have an insulin pump or internal / external devices such as a pacemaker or defibrillator.
- DO NOT eat or drink anything after midnight the night before your surgery, including
water, juice, coffee, chewing gum or mints, unless instructed otherwise by the surgery center preoperative nurse.
- Notify your doctor and the surgery center IMMEDIATELY if you suspect you are pregnant.
- You must make arrangements to have an adult stay with you during your entire procedure, drive you home, and oversee your care for the first 24 hours following surgery.
- Gather required information needed for the day of surgery, including insurance cards, legal documents (such as Power of Attorney or Guardianship documents), completed registration forms and any other information your doctor has asked you to bring to the surgical center.